A Web Textbook by Richard Jewell
Click on the links below for the
chapters you want.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
NEW June 2020:
"The Humanities during COVID-19 and Other Disasters"
Short Forward: What are the "Humanities"?
1. Experiencing the "Humanities"
2. Society and Culture (With new section on race, protest, and riot)
3. History and Its Ideas
4. Mythology: Stories of Who We Are
5. Philosophy and Basic Beliefs
6. Religions of the World
CURRENTS IN THE HUMANITIES:
7-A. The Rise of Enlightened Reason
COVID-19 AND DISASTER:
7-B. Society and Disaster (Short) Long Version
7-C. A Brief History of Disaster (Short) Long Version
7-D. Film, Art, & Books: Experiencing Disaster
8. All the Arts Equal Beauty
9. Elements of the Arts
10. The Visual Arts: Feast for the Eyes
11. The Performing Arts: Stories That Move
12. Music: The Universal Language
13. The Sculptural Arts: Frozen Dance (previous Ch. 12)
14. Literature: The Language Art (prev. Ch. 13)
15. The Future of the Arts (prev. Ch. 14)
16. Linking the Humanities (prev. Ch. 15)
Most recent revision of text on this page: 1 June 2020